Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Lensored in LA

Last weekend, we decided to take a cross country trip to Los Angeles from Raleigh to hang out with old friends, including those that contribute this blog. It involved two red-eye flights (including one exceptionally long flight delay), reaching LA at 3:30 am, lack of sleep, mini-vuvuzela inspired midnight birthday celebrations, vegan meals (when in LA.....) and generally randomness around the city. You get the overall picture.

I started going through some of the photos I took there when I got back. I had decided not to take my usual SLR along this time .That lens, while I love it, is simply too heavy and I wasn't too keen on lugging it around. So I had just my iPhone (broken screen and all), with its not-so-great camera to take any photos. Now I admit I'm not really fond of phone cameras, and am a bit snooty when it comes to using them. However, I recently found this interesting app called Hipstamatic, which recreates old film camera prints. The app is intended to be used mainly for fun, but then again, so was the Brushes app, and you only need to look at the New Yorker magazine cover from a new months back to see the extent that people take an app. Ultimately, photography (like art) is about composition. And if an app like Hipstamatic can add a certain character to that composition, then all the better. And yes, it is definitely fun to use. Enjoy a small selection of these photos.



5 comments:

  1. In the spirit of hipsterhood, I am adjusting my (imaginary) thick rimmed glasses, rubbing my (imaginary) immaculately groomed sideburns, adjusting my (imaginary) muffler, typing laces on my (real) converse shoes and thinking the following words in a fake English accent: "Bloody Brilliant!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is the kay aahey na, ki what it is, is that barobar aahey karan kay it is the KUH-RECT!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! This was a super fun post to write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pics r too good...but da text is even better! adds 3rd dimension to da pics

    ReplyDelete