Friday, July 30, 2010

Lensored in LA II: Griffith

As documented in the preceding post, the Lensored gang got together in Los Angeles last weekend. While I had no initial plans of posting any pictures from that trip, yesterday I came across a quote from Leonard Nimoy in the New York Times, where Nimoy paraphrased Robert Heinecken. Heinecken (a concept photographer) supposedly stated that if one saw an object falling from space, one should only photograph it if one was on a mission to photograph objects falling from space, and that anything else would be mere photojournalism.

Thinking about this quote, I went through my pictures, and picked out the series below, all of which were taken outside the Griffith Observatory. These pictures are not part of a mission to photograph the observatory - however, Robert Heinecken was at UCLA, Leonard Nimoy has a theater named after him at the Griffith Observatory, and observatories, in general, spend a lot of time contemplating objects falling from space.

On a more personal note though, this post is tip of my hat to the old friends I met this weekend, one of whom gave us the reason to get together, one with whom I am engaged in an ongoing debate about concept and composition (which underlies much of the thought behind this post) and one who taught me to appreciate and photograph architecture (which I have attempted here). The old times aren't really the old times if we get to refresh them ever so often!




1 comment:

  1. Great compositions. the last picture is brilliant! Miss LA pretty bad.....

    ReplyDelete