Monday, April 5, 2010

Daylight Savings

One of the things that is always up for debate is what is the best time of the day to take photographs. Or do dramatic photographs depend on the time of the day. Naturally, this topic is applicable mostly to outdoor shots, though some indoor shots with filtered light from the early morning/late evening time-frame are equally spectacular.

This was one of the topics in a photography course I took at UNC Chapel Hill last spring, and it meant shooting the same scene at different times of the day. It also meant that I had to head out to the same spot six times that day, which was quite interesting, and is one of the reasons that my wife won't take the same course :). A few people who saw me there more than once asked me what in the world I was up to, and didn't seem to think much of the assignment. The results left quite an impression on me, and it was clear that some of the best (and most dramatic) photos depend on the time of the day, dawn and dusk being the best of the lot. This also means a short amount of time to shoot, and sometimes getting up at unearthly hours to get the shot. Obviously is better to take the photograph, whatever the time of the day, than to not capture it at all. I'd also say the effort to catch these windows of light is totally worth it.

Here are the results. All these shots were taken using a tripod, at ISO 100 and aperture f/22 for the landscape aspect of the scene.

7:15 am & 10 am

12 pm & 2 pm

4 pm & 6 pm

5 comments:

  1. Do you think the freedom to change your settings would have meant different (i.e. better) pictures at a given time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh I remember this day, I was hoping you wouldn't get arrested for suspicious activity :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adiyta, great shots .... what s the photography course at UNC u are talking about ? Any pointers ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Archana. The course I was talking about is offered at UNC almost every semester and is an online course, which is great! Here is the link for the upcoming instance:
    http://fridaycenter.unc.edu/cp/cco/art.html#art356

    ReplyDelete